Friday, April 13, 2012

Life of the Party Cigar Box Purse


Years ago I saw some cigar box purses and thought they looked like fun to make; so I found some cigar boxes on Ebay and they have been sitting in my craft stash ever since. Then I saw this Life of the Party stamp from Red Rubber Designs and I knew it was time to make one of those purses.

I started by painting the box black and then sanding the edges for a distressed look.  I then used the Beauty of a Woman stamp on grey card stock to create the background.  The lace strip was done by using the flourish section from the Life of the Party stamp and stamping two rows across the grey.  The grey card was then decoupaged onto the box.  I took a 1" strip of red patterned paper from the Rustic Chic Paper Stack, edged it with silver pen, and decoupaged it over the "lace".  The party girl was stamped onto a die-cut piece of beige card stock and then colored with Copic markers.  Red glitter was added to her dress, hat and glass.  This section was then covered with a die-cut piece of acrylic and then embellished with more red glitter.
The purse was finished with rhinestone flourish sections and a beaded handle, made with vintage black beads and a couple of red clay beads that had also been coated in red glitter.

The Life of the Party Purse, would be prefect for any Celebration....but today we are celebrating Red Rubber Designs GRAND OPENING!!!

To Celebrate...We are hosting a Blog Hop....
Visit each Design Team member's blog, leave a comment and then head back to Red Rubber Designs' Blog to say that you've commented on each of the blogs.  You will then be entered in the drawing for a fabulous PRIZE PACKAGE!!

Red Rubber Designs:  http://blog.red-rubber-designs.com/


Sarah:
Paula-Kay:
Louise
KC (you are here)
Kate:
Diana:
Debra:

Blog Hop Prize Details:
A Red Rubber Design prize package will be awarded to one lucky person.
To qualify:  Leave a comment at all the DT blog stops on the hop.  To complete the hop - come back to the RRD blog on Sunday, April 15th for a special prize post and leave a comment that you completed the hop.
Comment Deadline:  Sunday, April 15th at Midnight (Central Time)
Winner Announcement:  All qualifying names will be entered into a random drawing.  The winner will be announced on the RRD blog on Monday, April 16th.  Good Luck and Happy Hopping!!


51 comments:

  1. Cute purse! I love the look of the black and she just sets it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fabulous project. Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have some of those cigar boxes in my stash too - you have inspired me to get them out! I love this purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea. Love the purse with all the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your detail...beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely box! I love the color combo and bling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever and beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful colors KC - very cool cigar box purse! Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh KC...wow! First of all, your blog name "Distracted by Something Shiny" describes exactly how I feel about this very cool project and tutorial! You are amazing... it's going to be really fun to see the future projects that you design for Red Rubber Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous, KC! Who would have thought a cigar box could look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh! Love it! KC that is a neat project! It just pops! Love this hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute! Great job on your box, KC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cigar boxes! This is fabulous with the black and red! Definitely a party girl purse!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job making this purse! So fun, full of bling and special details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the red rhinestones you added. Great purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love LOVE it!!!! And all that 'bling' is Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My BF would go gawgaw over your purse. Its darling!!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Better be careful when you take this out! People are going to want it! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat project with the neat stamp. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  20. An amazingly creative and clever idea! Your purse is beautiful - who wouldn't be proud to carry it??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, amazing project!!! Love all the bling!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. KC, this is just fabulous! I would love to make something like this for a special young gal I know. She'd be thrilled to carry this around. So creative!!
    - DebbieK

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW ... so cool, KC! I just might have to CASE this one. How fun - bet lots of people will take notice when you carry it.
    Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too have seen cigar box purses, but I must say, none of them were quite as lovely as this one. I love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This design is perfect for a fun retro purse project. What a lovely piece you've created! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! You are all way too nice!!! I'm so glad you liked the purse. It really was tons of fun to do!! I will definitely be doing more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was fun seeing an old idea made new again. Awesome details, KC.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!!! Eveyone will be asking for one of those for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun cigar box purse! They're great when they hold a scrapbook too!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great purse! Love the beads and the bling!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it!!!! and in my favorite colors You did a beautiful job on this project

    ReplyDelete
  33. I absolutely think that a black cigar purse is just the thing a "life of the party" girl might be toting!!
    Great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. love the touches of red glitter on her dress. Nice job with the purse. Did you make the handle to that purse too? Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes Susie, I made the handle out of vintage beads from one of my mom's old necklaces. I added a few silver beads and a couple polymer beads to bring up some more red glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a beautiful interpretation of the challenge. Your purse with all the bling looks gorgeous! You rock!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember that necklace. Great to see those beads getting out again. I love the glitter on the dress, hat and, of course, the drink. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOWZERS!!!! This purse is FANTASTIC! Such a fun stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  39. OO LA LA! What a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  40. The purse is a wonderful idea. I was blown away !!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a neat idea, never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow now this is out of the box, lol! Great project and fun blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  43. How cute! Love your use of the cigar box. I love the classic black and red you used also. classy little project

    ReplyDelete
  44. LOVE LOVE LOVE your purse... great project, the colors are perfect!!! I like all the layering gives wonderful dimension. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is probably the prettiest cigar-box-purse I have ever seen! I am so amazed at all the beautiful variations that you folks have come up with, all from the same stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, that is beautiful! Amazing how pretty a cigar box can really be :) Thanks for sharing...what a great hop!

    ReplyDelete