Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Experimenting with Clear Scraps Acrylic

If you have never played with Clear Scraps Acrylic, you may be a surprised to find out how forgiving it is.  If you ink it with alcohol inks and then decide you don't like the color or effect, you can remove it with non-acetone nail polish remover.  If you stamp it and are not happy with the stamp, you can remove it with rubbing alcohol or non-acetone nail polish remover.  But even though I know I can undo a lot, there are still times I'm a little nervous about trying a new technique on a piece.  For that reason, I always keep some smaller Clear Scraps pieces around that I can experiment on.  The Coasters, Tags, and ATC pieces are great for this.  If I try something that can't be reversed, and I don't like the result, I can pitch it, and I haven't messed up a large layout or album.  If I'm happy with it, I can use it in a larger project, or as a tag or card.

This was one of my experiments from this weekend.  I used a Clear Scraps Coaster and some butterfly stickers from Mark Richardson.

I filled in the open areas of the wings with Glass Effects from Viva Decor.  Then I let that dry completely. (a couple hours)

Once the Glass Effects was dry, I flipped the coasters over and painted the back of the wings with Copper and Bronze Lumier metallic acrylic paint.  This paint dries pretty quickly - about 10 minutes.

I was going for a stained glass effect, and I think if the sections of the wings were larger, I might have gotten it.  I'll try this technique again with a larger, more open design.  But for now, I have a coaster with shiny metallic butterflies.

I cut complimenting card stock 4 1/2" x 9" and folded in half.  Then used a rounding edger to round the 4 corners.  I glued that in place with Zip Dry adhesive, to create a little card.  I finished with a few dots of Viva Decor Glitter writer.



For more tips, tricks and acrylic inspiration, please visit the Clear Scraps Blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment