Monday, November 19, 2012

Li'l Red School House - Message Board

This summer I was watching "Craft Wars" and fell in love with the little Red Schoolhouse that one of the contestants made as a playhouse. It inspired this Li'l Red Schoolhouse from the gingerbread house from Clear Scraps Gingerbread Banner.  My practical side likes functional art, so I decided to turn this into a message board as well.  Wouldn't this be a cute teacher's gift?!
The "blackboard" is a Clear Scraps Coaster that I painted on the back with black acrylic spray paint.  While that dried, I cut brick red card stock to glue to the back of the house with Zip Dry Adhesive.  The blackboard is trimmed and bordered by ribbons, and the bottom of the house and top of the chimney are trimmed in washi paper tape.  I used a silver metallic Sharpie to draw the bricks on the chimney.  I decided I wanted a little more texture, so the white roof was done with DecoArt Snow writer.


I used a white Wet Erase marker for the message.  This wipes off very easily with a slightly damp cloth or paper towel.  I have also added magnets on the back so this can hang as a message board on the frig or other surface.

Be sure to check out all the great acrylic products from Clear Scraps!

Happy Holidays!

KC






PS - The Gingerbread Banner also includes two Snowflakes.  Check out this post for an ornament idea made with the snowflakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment